Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Titles

A very important element of writing that people often forget about is the title. The more you can get your title to make your reader think and wonder what your work is about, the more likely they are going to read it. For instance, if you write an essay about Once and Future King and you title it "King Author's Fall" people won't be as interested in reading it as if you make the title "Love Brings Down the Castle Walls."

In fiction, a lot of books tend to have a character's name as the title. For things like Harry Potter this is perfectly fine because there is the addition of and the... Other titles that grab my attention in the book store have strange words in them, such as Geek, Chill, or Dangerous Pie.

Lastly, chapter names are something to look at as well. If you choose to label your chapters, be creative about it. Something like "That Time Again" isn't going to pull attention as much as "We Visit the Garden Gnome Emporium." However, Rick Riordan is master of creating chapter names that do what they should do, which is, make the reader want to move onto the next chapter ASAP.

2 comments:

  1. Now these are all very good tips. It is particularly helpful for somebody like me who is an amateur and don't claim to be a writer. I write because I need to say certain things and I worry that how I am saying them may not be either the most elegant or the best way of depicting them or even the correct way of doing it. I never took up writing in college, my education is in art and languages so your blog is wonderful for me. Keep it coming. I am placing it among my favorites...I hope you don't mind.

    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And that's great that you are adding this to your favorites. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete